Friday, January 22, 2016

YUPB Foodie Corner- Nigerian Okra Soup


I choose to think of Okra as one elegant and delicate lady, who must be handled gently else you get pricked! Lol. Don't mind me o. Just putting on my metaphorical cap this evening. More after the cut...

But come to think of it, it kinda sounds true.
Back to business guys. Okra is a vegetable rich in vitamins and minerals. It is enjoyed almost everywhere around the world in different forms and dishes. I remember vividly, after having my baby at Queens Hospital New York on one beautiful cold afternoon, as I was sitting on the hospital bed admiring my new baby, a kitchen attendant walked in to the room with a tray of milk , yoghurt, Lipton, ham and a plate of the most raw looking Okra sauce I have ever seen. I looked at the slimmy okra and I thought like 
''No way is that making its way into my mouth''  'Na na na not happening!!' 
I politely thanked the lady with a smile as she left after coohing at my little one. I was so hungry for my dear old Nigerian food by now. After months and months of veggies. Choi! 
After eating up everything in the plate, with exclusive breastfeeding, the food had not even Crossed my throat not to talk of filling my tommy. Hmmmm I heaved a sigh as I finally caved in to my hunger and decided to give the poor old okra sitting in the plate a try.
I took just a tiny scoop in my mouth, and on first impact with my taste buds I was like 
'what.. what... what did I just taste! Yumm yumm!
It was the sweetest tasting okra I have had a while! It tasted heavenly! Gosh. I finished the whole plate in seconds and my eyes were shining for more! Kai! Lol

This is just to show the different ways people enjoy this nutrient rich veggie. Some of my fellow natural hair sisters use the slim as conditioner and even gel. Well, I am yet to try that though.

Today I want to share with you my recipe for Nigerian Okra soup.

Ingredients:

Okra
Ogbono(ground)
Hebanero pepper  (yellow Ose Nsukka)
Tatashe
Locust beans  (ogiri okpeye)
Smoked fish (You can achieve this by rubbing red oil on your ice fish and baking in the oven, for sisters outside Nigeria)
Dried Fish
Cod fish (okporoko)
Assorted beaf, towel, cow head, cow tail, roundabouts etc
Pumpkin leafs
Red onions
Seasoning cubes (I prefare Knorr)
Salt to taste
Red Oil ( or 3-4 medium sized carrots. Surprised?? Don't worry you 'll soon find out why)


Oya Lets Cook

1. Boil assorted meats and cod fish, season with salt, seasoning cubes and onions. You may want to use a pressure pot, it cooks in less than half the normal cooking time. Saves you gas and time.

2. Chop your okra with knife or grate it with the biggest cone shape side of your grater

3. Wash your dried fish and smoked fish rubbing gently but firmly with salt, rinse and pieces to desired sizes. Set aside.

4. Wash crayfish to get ride of grits and dirts. Blend with deseeded tatashe, yellow pepper and your locust beans.

5. Add your ground ogbono and red oil into the pot.(for sisters in some countries who may find it difficult getting red oil or who have a limited supply, blend 3 or 4 medium sized carrots to puree and add to your pot! It works wonders believe me.)

6. Add the blended ingredients into the pot together with dried fish, cook for about 5 mins and add smoked fish, okra and thinly shredded pumpkin leafs.

7. Lower heat for a couple of minutes and off your cooker.

8. Bonne appetite! Serve with your choice swallow. Kids love this soup so much. It's usually the first soup I introduce to my kids.

1 comment:

jenny said...

Looks delicious.